20 minutes (once chicken has cooked and been shredded)
This recipe caught my eye while browsing through a list of NYT Cooking suggested appetizers. If you’ve ever been to Burtons Bar & Grille, they have Buffalo Chicken Dip on their menu. I love anything cheesy with chips. My husband and new son-in-law are partial to buffalo wings, so I decided to give it a try this past Christmas Eve.
If you really want to just throw this together for a party, bake the chicken a head of time, even the day before.
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken ← about 2 boneless chicken breasts
- Olive oil, salt, pepper
- 1 TBL unsalted butter
- ½ cup Buffalo-style hot sauce
- ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces and softened
- ½ cup freshly shredded white Cheddar cheese ← don’t bother measuring
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1½ tsp finel chopped chives
- serve with celery sticks, carrot sticks and/or tortilla chips
- Cook the chicken
- preheat oven to 350
- drizzle chicken breast with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- depending on size of the chicken breast, bake for 45-55 minutes
- when done and cool to the touch, shred the chicken
- Make the dip
- preheat oven to 375
- In an 8-inch cast-iron or ovenproof skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat
- Add the chicken and hot sauce and simmer until the sauce has thickened and reduced by half, 2-to-3 minutes
- Turn off the heat, then stir in the lemon juice, sour cream and cream cheese until combined
- Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese over the top
- Bake until bubbling around the edges and the cheese has melted, about 10 minutes
- If you’d like the top to get browned, run it under the broiler for a minute or two ← I did!
- Immediately garnish with blue cheese and chives
- Serve while hot!