This recipe and its alterations came from one of my husband’s co-workers. She brought this to a charred oysters experimentation party we had some number of years ago.
She said, I followed the recipe and used 2 lemons for the lemon squares, but used 3 limes for the lime squares, since they were smaller. I also added the zest of all the lemons and the limes to the mix to enhance the flavor.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups white sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lemons, juiced (zest the lemons to add to mix before you juice them)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and ½ cup sugar.
- Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden.
- In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1½ cups sugar, ¼ cup flour and the zest.
- Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
- The bars will firm up as they cool.
- For a festive tray, make another pan using limes instead of lemons (use 3 limes though since they are small) and adding a drop of green food coloring to give a very pale green.
- After both pans have cooled, cut into uniform 2 inch squares and arrange in a checker board fashion.