This recipe comes from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Family Style. I have altered the cooking time and temperature since we prefer the medium stalked asparagus over the large. If you prefer the large stalks, then you should cook at 400 for 15-20 minutes before adding the Parmesan cheese).
We having been eating this once or twice a week for the last 3-4 years. We all love it. When I make this for just my family of four, I just use one bunch of fresh asparagus. If it is just me and my husband, I use ½ a bunch. I’ll leave the recipe in tact for serving 6 but note where I make adjustments.
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, medium-to-small stalks with ends cut off.
- 1 TBL olive oil – I use the an olive oil mister and lightly spray the asparagus, so probably about 1 TBL
- ½ tsp Kosher salt – I sprinkle it right out of the box, very lightly over the asparagus on the baking sheet. Definitely not more than ½ tsp, could be less.
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper – I use a pepper grinder and grind the pepper over the asparagus on the baking sheet, making sure each stalk gets some pepper – not too heavy though
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese – I don’t bother measuring this, but sounds about right. I just make sure it looks like there is enough cheese so that each stalk has some. You cannot go wrong here.
- 2 lemons cut into wedges, for serving – hmm, I’ve never done this, but it’s probably good. I’ve recently taken to adding lemon zest to my roasted broccoli = very tasty
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees
- Lay the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet (optional: lined with parchment paper)
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and return to the oven for another 1-2 minutes. You want cheese to be melted but not turning brown.
- Ina then says to serve with the lemon wedges; I need to try this next time!