This recipe is from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Parties! This is a must-have at our Thanksgiving table every year. That’s pretty much the only time I make it. I love sweet potatoes and the caramelized apples on top are a special treat.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 large)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 TBL unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the Topping
- 3 TBL unsalted butter
- 3 McIntosh or Macoun apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 3 TBL light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Scrub potatoes, prick them several times with fork or knife, and bake them for 1 hour, or until very soft when pierced with a knife.
- Remove from oven and scoop out the insides as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
- Place the sweet potato meat into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and add the orange juice, cream, butter, brown sugar nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Mix together until combined but not smooth, and pour into baking dish
- For the topping, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the apple wedges and brown sugar and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned on both sides.
- Place on top of the sweet potatoes
- Bake the potatoes and apples for 20 to 30 minutes, until heated through.