Start to finish: 30min
This recipe is from Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Cookish. This recipe caught my attention while reading customer reviews on Amazon, so I was eager to try it once the cookbook arrived. The flavors were a fresh surprise, I especially loved the combination of coriander and cumin. And then the mint and/or cilantro garnish was just icing on the cake.
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus 2 lemons, halved – 3 lemons total! ← you really want to be sure to have ½ a lemon per person so that everyone can drizzle the juices on their own chicken
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 TBL honey, plus more for drizzling (on lemons after chicken cooks)
- 1 TBL finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 TBL ground coriander OR cumin OR 1 TBL of each ← use both!
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, halved lengthwise ← next time I am going to up this quantity on this. The 3 of us devoured the 2lbs and could have eaten more.
- fresh cilantro OR mint or flat-leafed parsley, chopped ← I put out small bowls of mint and cilantro. Family was divided over which was better.
Note: this would be good served with rice or couscous, moroccan veggies, and/or a salad.
- Heat the broiler with a rack 4 inches from the element
- In a medium bowl, large enough to hold the chicken, mix the lemon zest and juice, oil, honey, ginger, spices (coriander and/or cumin), 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper; set aside 2 tablespoons (used for drizzling on chicken after it’s cooked)
- Toss the chicken with the remaining mixture ← I did my prep mid-afternoon, so my chicken marinated in this mixture for a few hours, but the recipe doesn’t say you need to do that
- Scrunch the chicken onto metal skewers, then place on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the 4 lemon halves (or however many you are prepping)
- Broil until charred, about 12 minutes, flipping halfway through
- Spoon the reserved lemon-oil mixture over the chicken
- Sprinkle with herbs ← I let folks do this themselves and pick which they wanted
- Drizzle the lemon halves with honey and serve alongside for squeezing over the chicken.
|Here’s a link for ordering Milk Street Cookish on Amazon. So far I’m 2-for-2 on awesome meals; eager to try another one tonight!|