This recipe is from Patricia Wells’ Trattoria. It’s also known as Scampi alla Veneziana.
Shrimp + Garlic = Heaven
- 16 to 20 (about 1 pound) large shrimp, in their shells
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 plump fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp crushed red peppers (hot red pepper flakes), or to taste
- Coarse sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, snipped with a scissors
- Rinse the shrimp, pat them dry, and set aside
- In a skillet large enough to hold all the shrimp in a single layer, heat the oil over moderately high heat.
- When the oil is hot but no smoking, add the garlic, thyme, crushed red peppers, and shrimp
- Toss to coat with oil, and cook, stirring occasionally, just until the shrimp are pink, 4 to 5 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and, with a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a warmed serving platter or to warmed individual plates. Pour the sauce over the shrimp, sprinkle lightly with coarse salt, and shower with the parsley.
- Serve immediately, offering a finger bowl and an extra napkin for each guest